The Mathews

The Mathews

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sleep Talker Becomes Sleep Walker

Sleep issues are very common in our family. Both grandpas have sleep apnea, and I suffer from hyper insomnia (the ability to literally fall asleep in under 30 seconds). Unfortunately, Robby didn't inherit the exact same type of sleep issues as me. As many of you already know, we suffered through his first year of living with little sleep. Shrugging this off, we thought the 2nd year would be better. After two years of having less than 10 nights of total sleep, we were finally granted a sleep study at DeVos. True, I had to talk my way into an earlier appointment, but none the less, we found out that Robby had a heart murmur, restless leg syndrome, and sleep apnea. This week we may have added to the list.

Thursday night I awoke to weird sounds at 3:30am. This was about the 3rd time I was up that night, so I simply rolled over (Robby refuses to sleep in his own room not to mention a bed of any type) to check on him. Instantly I became alarmed when he wasn't there! After scanning the bedroom to see if he rolled to another spot (which often happens), panic sunk in. Robby is terribly afraid of the dark as well, and only a little night light in our room shone through the pitch, black house. Calling out to him while trying to not wake Andy, I was quickly rewarded with a 2 1/2 year old walking back up the stairs w/ tools and paperwork in his hands. When asked what he was doing, he simply said, "I was seeing if Grammie was here yet, so I got my tools ready to help her." Five seconds later he was fast asleep. Me on the other hand, couldn't calm my brain back down. Yes, this was our first case of sleep walking. While he's done sleep talking, I've a new appreciation for dead-bolt locks.

This week has brought on yet another virus as well. I've pretty much decided that sleep will always be over-rated. Robby and I took shots of Tylenol last night and throughout today as we battled his 103.9 degree fever. Feeling bad, I let him take a nap this afternoon since he truly didn't feel good. Now I'm in for the long haul as he makes it to probably around 11:30 before he'll fall asleep. And where is Tom during all of this you might ask... usually fast asleep, but tonight celebrating with a long time grade school friend at his bachelor party. For some reason I don't foresee sleeping in in my future as well. To all of you who enjoy your seven, eight, or even more hours of sleep each night, remember how lucky you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment