The Mathews

The Mathews

Friday, July 23, 2010

Mommy's Little Mummy

Robby and I had a sleep over at Spectrum on Wednesday night, and what a night it was! In order to fully appreciate this story you have to remember that Robby doesn't sit still for more than 2 minutes at a time (including in his sleep). Also remember that he rarely falls asleep until about 10:30 - 11:00pm and thrashes around all night, waking several times.

After arriving at the hospital, the nurse (bless her heart) hooked Robby up to at least 25 different monitor cables, and then wrapped his head w/ bandages to prevent him from taking them out. Seriously, he looked awful & words won't do the image justice. He became my little mummy. I took a couple pictures of him on my phone, but I can't figure out how to load them onto the computer yet. Finishing around 8:00, she says, "Okay now it's time to go to sleep." Sleep??? At 8, are you serious? To make the situation better, he was tied down to cables w/ about a foot of "leash" room, or so I called it - meaning he couldn't get up and play or run around. Hmm? Needless to say I had to get creative in entertaining him for the next 2 & 1/2 hours until he finally gave in and fell asleep. The hardest part for him was the nose tubes; it made it difficult for him to have his passy.

The rest of the night went TERRIBLE - which was a good thing. At least the doctors can now see that he doesn't sleep, trashes around all night (he literally pulled off the cables at least 4 times in his sleep - making the nurse come back in to reconnect them), woke up screaming, and made mom sleep at the foot of the twin size bed once again. I'd say it was a successful sleep study that I really don't want to do again for a long time. Real results won't be done for 5-6 weeks.

The doctors did call later in the day to say that he has an iron deficiency that they think might be adding to his restless leg symptoms. I'm hoping for a quick fix here w/ a supplement - keep your fingers crossed.

Onto the other child: Friday's visits both went well. The NST came back great - super active child that isn't under any stress - got to be like his father. The MMPC appointment was routine as well.

Tonight we hope to make it to the Berlin Fair (Robby's sweet reward for the sleep clinic). It ought to be a pretty picture - me wobbling along in hot, humid, 90 degree weather, but I know both him and his dad will love it! John Deere tractors and stinky animals here we come!








2 comments:

  1. Wow! That sounds like quite a night! Hopefully you will get some answers soon. Enjoy the fair & all the smells that come with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dawn! Sounds like you have had quite the productive week! I am so happy that the sleep study is completed and that he "slept" exactly like he does at home :) Praying for some quick answers :) Praying for you too! Happy the NST went well! I will be home sunday, I will give you a call next week!

    ReplyDelete