The Mathews

The Mathews

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

IEP - A Whole New Ball Game

It's a little different sitting on the other side of the table during an IEP (Individual Education Plan). As a teacher, I've attended a few IEP's before mainly as the gen. ed. participant, but it's a whole different ball game when it's your own child being evaluated. Knowing that Andy would have to fail a portion of the evaluation in order to qualify for therapy w/ Early On, you have mixed emotions for when the evaluators arrive at your door: he needs therapy, but you don't want to hear all the things that are wrong with your child. So I held it together and resisted the urge to yell out, "No, you're wrong he can do that. He does turn his head & hold it up! He can track an object really well!" Instead, I bit my lip and let them say all the things that Andy isn't doing well... why don't they say what he is doing well??

Unlike all of his other appointments, Early On tests him on what he is currently doing. So as they walked out the door, I was finally able to let the tears fall. We knew Andy would have difficulty with his legs - this we expected, and I guess we should be happy that he didn't pass his evaluation b/c that is afterall how he will receive therapy. If he passed everything, he wouldn't qualify for the physical therapy he needs. So the tears can be that of sadness and thankfulness, and I'm positive that Andy will prove them wrong in the weeks to come; in fact, I'm sure he will surpass everyone's expectations of him & what he is able to do.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Dawn. Yes it's so hard sometimes! But you're exactly right- Andy will prove them wrong. I can't wait to see what he has in store for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Dawn...Andy is going to prove them wrong...BIG TIME!!! I know that those evaluations can be so hard (I am the mom going ..."wait, he CAN do that...I swear!!") Hang in there mama, you are doing such a great job!! Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, it must be so tricky to be on the other side of the IEP for the first time. I have already been thinking about how I will handle our Early On visit. I'm certain that Andy will blow through the goals they write for him in no time and be ready for bigger things:)
    Looking forward to visiting with you in person soon.

    ReplyDelete